This year (2016) we are here in the States for 42 days (October 4 to November 16)!

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

2016 Trip to the States: "Art Collecting!"

I enjoy finding creative art as I go along.  It just so happened that a town we were going through had an art sculpture display throughout the central part of it's main streets.

This sculpture is made out of 37 spoons shaped as dogwood tree blossoms.





This sculpture seems to capture the joy of playing in the rain...catching drops on your tongue and jumping in puddles.
 



In addition, I was talking with an older gentleman from Kerry and Marijke's church who was wearing a large, silver belt buckle.  It was embossed with an eagle flying through trees.  When I complimented him on it, he said he had a collection of over 400 belt buckles, but he's not still collecting them.  My mind was boggled.  I would have loved to seen some of them.  I wondered how many were made out of silver and if he insured them.  (This is a town that doesn't lock their cars or front doors.)

This gentleman also told me he has a left-handed pencil collection.  (He said this with a small smile, and I wondered if he was pulling my leg.)  He was serious, and proceeded to demonstrate with a pen from his pocket.  Most pens or pencils have writing on them, which can be read if a person holds it in his right hand, but not his left.  There are a few pencils on which the reverse is true.  One day, this man walked into a store which had a cup of pencils for sale by the cash register...10 cents a piece.  He proceeded to look through the cup and found a couple of left-handed pencils.  When the clerk asked what he was doing, he explained.  The next time he went into the store, there were two cups.  The one cup had a "10 cents apiece" sign on it.  The other cup said, "Left-handed pencils: $1".

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha! That's a huge mark up! Love the sculptures 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belt buckles is a fantastic collection idea, easy to go through various charity shops checking for different kinds. Much more reasonable than my collectable-mini-house idea, those are massively expensive! (I've decided I should collect something as soon as I've finished sorting all of our clutter, which at this rate will never happen).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belt buckles is a fantastic collection idea, easy to go through various charity shops checking for different kinds. Much more reasonable than my collectable-mini-house idea, those are massively expensive! (I've decided I should collect something as soon as I've finished sorting all of our clutter, which at this rate will never happen).

    ReplyDelete

Please talk back to us, we like it: