This year (2016) we are here in the States for 42 days (October 4 to November 16)!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 99: Boxes!

Packing boxes...Life keeps repeating this part. We've put into cardboard containers lots of stuff representing memories of lives lived in this house. And we have boxes being shipped to NZ from Portland. All these things finding a new home in NZ...with stories to tell. (I hope there's room!)

One of Dan's favorite things he's bringing home is a devotional book Grandpa's mom gave him before he went off to war...And he's also excited to have some pictures of his ancesters. Wouldn't it be interesting to talk to some of these folks and find out what life was like for them. The one I'd especially like to meet of all Dan's relatives is his great-aunt Edna.

Aunt Edna was a school teacher who never married. She lived her adult life with her also unmarried sister...but she travelled! There's a picture of her on a camel in Egypt. She's the great-aunt that endeared herself to Dan and his brother and sisters by sewing up holes their soft toy animals. I wonder who she travelled with. Wouldn't it be interesting to find out more about her?

2 comments:

  1. I often think that about long-ago relatives =) I hear Jan is the one to talk to about genealogy - we saw all sorts of interesting stuff from Grandpa's childhood while we were there =) So ... one more day! That's exciting! Make way for the Mills, and all those boxes - we shall make room!

    ReplyDelete

Please talk back to us, we like it: