Sometimes I try too hard. Yes, it's true. Because my normal tendency is "quiet," when I'm around people, sometimes I push a little too hard at being chatty. That can get me into trouble.
We were walking with the Zieglers last week and were passing a man watering his garden. He glanced at us and I felt compelled to say something encouraging to him, both to be friendly and to break any awkward silence until we passed him by. I noticed the flower he was watering had curly leaves. It looked green and ruffley, so I told him his garden was pretty. He looked at me as if I were crazy. Then I glanced at the rest of his garden. It was dried up and bedraggled. What I took for a flower with ruffley leaves, was really a struggling plant whose leaves had curled up for lack of water. (Remember, it's summer here.) It seems the man had been away for a couple of weeks and was trying to revive his neglected garden. Oops! Sometimes awkward silence shouldn't be broken by anything other than, "Hi!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hahaha :-) this cheered me up!
ReplyDelete