This year (2016) we are here in the States for 42 days (October 4 to November 16)!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 81: Fun Memory Moments!

I love when life gives you those memory moments that you want to freeze and keep...ones that bring a smile and lighten your heart. Here's two recent ones about Grandpa:

At one point Grandpa was having a hard time talking. One time I could tell he really wanted to say something. I leaned closer and concentrated on reading his body language as well as hear his words. What came out of his mouth was, "One,"...(long pause)..."two,"...(long pause)..."three"...(long pause)..."four"... So I answered, "testing, testing."

Another time we were visiting Grandpa in the rehab center. We had brought him the devotional book that he kept beside his bed at home. Dan had read the inscription on the flyleaf that said it was a Christmas present from his mom shorthly before he went off to war. When Dan mentioned the flyleaf, Grandpa asked if he saw the bookmark. He said it was from "one of the girls in the office." Dan said, "What girl?" Sure enough, there was a note from Hilda, an English lass that worked with him in England. We found out later from Grandpa's brother that Grandpa actually was sweet on one of the girls, but her name was Irene. I think even when so sick, Grandpa was trying to get a rise out of Dan, laughter in his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please talk back to us, we like it: