This year (2016) we are here in the States for 42 days (October 4 to November 16)!

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Day 12: "Last Days On the Oregon Trail!"

It turned out that we had a free afternoon with Francine and Grandma!  So...we took a drive to Crown Point and Multnomah Falls down the Old Portland Highway #30.  That, to me, is what it  means to be an Oregonian:  Evergreens (Douglas Fir), sun-dappled roadway...shady on a hot day, away from traffic jams, views of the mighty Columbia River, the impossibly high Multnomah Falls...plus an ice cream cone.  My cup runneth over!  

It was so reassuring after witnessing so much change in the old neighborhood.  The familiar places of housing and stores and landscape where I grew up has been altered and not so familiar.  Many of the people (and kinds of people) are strangers.  BUT...today's drive was familiar and dear...and is probably why I feel at home in West Auckland.
Columbia River is really straight,and the road is really curved (panorama distortion)


End of the day:  Elmer's Pancake House

5 comments:

  1. Auckland needs a good pancake house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me really want to be there =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that drive! It's probably my favorite part of Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leaving Crown Point, driving through the thick fir trees & past the plethora of waterfalls, Kaylynn said something like: "this is the Oregon I remember"!

    ReplyDelete

Please talk back to us, we like it: