This year (2016) we are here in the States for 42 days (October 4 to November 16)!

Monday, July 16, 2018

2018 Summer in the USA: Weeks 4&5: "Learning from Young and Old!"

Lessons I have learned from young and old this trip:

When hot, put cold water on you head.  
Rewarding fireworks after hot day
We spent the 4th of July in Washington, D.C. with Dan's nephew and family.  It was REALLY HOT walking between Lincoln's Memorial and the Library of Congress. To help the little kids with us cool off, I sprinkled water from my water bottle on their heads.  I guess they thought it was a good idea because when we passed a decorative fountain along the way, they stuck their heads in, filled their caps with water, then dumped it on their heads.  (They applied a glimmer of an idea to its full capacity!)

Donuts can be used as a base ingredient.
We were introduced to a place called The Fractured Prune.  It's a doughnut shop in which you place an order for the glaze of your choice (everything from peanut butter or mocha, to banana or blackberry).  After that you place an order for what you want sprinkled on top:  marshmallows, chocolate chips, crushed candy bars, etc. Check it out at:  fracturedprune.com

Showing love can be simple as pulling weeds in a sick neighbor's garden.
Being with Dan's brother's family is like watching ministry in action.  Conversations are taking place all the time whether in the pool, around the table, or on the front porch swing.  Looking across the street one day, I saw nephew Eric and his girlfriend weeding the neighbor's garden in the heat of the afternoon, because she was sick and couldn't take care of her beloved flowers.

Watching baseball on TV can't compare with watching the Pittsburgh Pirates up close in person!   
This is especially on a day when the weather is brilliant and the team pulls off an exciting win in the 9th inning!
  
I'm glad I'm a missionary and not a preacher.
We've had the sermon spot in a few of churches now.  (One church had 3 services back to back!)  Granted, we give the same "sermon" each time, and it is getting better with practice, but my goodness...to imagine doing this every week takes my breath away.  We much prefer the Sunday School slot which is more interactive, with question/answer, and discussion.

Good books and games I now hanker for:
The Great Divorce, by C.S. Lewis  (I understand  it about an allegorical bus ride between Hell and Heaven.)
With the Rock family
The House of Robots (I got to read a couple of chapters to a 7 year old friend and it was a lot of fun.)
Zingo...not a book, but a game like bingo for ages 4 and up.

Even though malls are becoming a dying institution, they still can house wonderful surprises (like miniature golf)...and have excellent names!"



 

1 comment:

Please talk back to us, we like it: